Good morning all, it’s only fitting that I be writing this blog while sitting in my favorite coffee shops in Orlando, drinking a green tea latte. 🙂 Give me all the cozy vibes.
I know that coffee, in some shape or form, is part of our daily routine. And many times, we sabotage ourselves by ordering a drink that’s loaded with carbs and fats (yes, beverages are one of the biggest ways people over consume calories). If you have the rest of your diet in check, that’s totally okay! By all means, enjoy that #balance (proud of you). IF that’s not you, and you don’t mean to sabotage your goals, but you don’t exactly know what to order that would taste good & fit in perfectly without spiking your calorie intake, this post is for you. Or maybe you just want new ideas, that’s cool too!
So, coming from a person who prefers to EAT her calories rather than DRINK them, but also enjoys a good beverage while adulting, here are my top 5 drinks:
- Green tea latte with oat, coconut or almond milk. Disclaimer: I don’t like green tea. If you’ve never tried matcha, I recommend you try it sometime before writing it off as “not your thing,” as it’s actually very beneficial for you and tastes nothing like green tea.
- Oat milk latte (optional: add 2 stevia). I recently switched from almond milk to oat milk, after a girl on Instagram made a post about the demanding and environmentally UNfriendly process required to make just 3 OUNCES of almond milk (her IG is @sculptedbyc). I was so intrigued, so I spent the next 10 minutes fact checking and she was right. Look it up! So I decided to decrease my consumption when I can. I still drink it at coffee shops sometimes, but I don’t buy it for the house anymore! The other alternative milks are great in a latte too, but I’ve found that oat milk is similar to regular milk in terms of thickness (thicccness) and texture.
- Flat white with oat, coconut or almond milk + 2 stevia. This is for foam lovers like me, yum! It’s a mixture between a cappuccino and a latte: the perfect combination that allows you to enjoy the foam while still having something to drink once it’s done.
- Americano with 2 inches oat, coconut or almond milk + 2 stevia. If you haven’t caught my drift, I always add 2 stevia to pretty much all of my drinks. That’s preference, I love semi sweet drinks and I love stevia, but you can feel free to use another sugar substitute, or none at all if you’re dead inside. Just kidding. Side note: I also prefer decaf or 1/2 caf. That means they use a mixture of caffeinated espresso and decaffeinated espresso, if you’re caffeine sensitive or trying to cut down, this is a good way to do it.
- Coffee with 2 inches oat, coconut or almond milk + 2 stevia. I had to include the most basic order for my simple people. I probably get this 1/2 of the time. Unless you don’t really enjoy coffee, you can’t go wrong.
As far as calories and specific macros, I didn’t include them but I did order the drinks from highest calorie to lowest calorie. All of these drinks are under ~200 calories. If you do end up trying something on the list, let me know how you like it! + If you really want the macros but don’t know how to find them, comment on the post and I’ll be more than happy to post them for you.
Best of luck with your fitness and/or nutrition goals! I love the beginning of the month, and any reminder really, that whispers in our ears “you can start again.” Because you can, we can. Every year, every month, every week, every day and every moment.. we can chose to start again.